Friday, May 28, 2010

review from montana

Soul Caller
A review by Eugene D Tunick, DDS 5/2/2010

As I know William Bernard Brooks to be a prominent portrait photographer, I expected Soul Caller to be a book of beautiful photographs. What I found was a complete surprise: a series of images, probably based on photographs, resembling paintings reminiscent of Matisse and other French impressionists, with a suggestion of abstractionism.

They definitely aren’t French, but are anchored in Native American occultism – serving as metaphors of early Indians seeking the meaning of existence.

Each image is accompanied by a Haiku describing a spiritual experience. I couldn’t resist going back repeatedly to explore the imagery and to let the Haikus insinuate themselves into my consciousness.

Brooks invites us to share his existential journey.

No comments:

you can find the new book LIKE WIND I GO and two other books by William B. Brooks https://www.amazon.com/Like-Wind-Go-Remarkable-Insights/d...